Monday, October 17, 2011

Why are things so Hard?

Well this is the first time i have caught a glimpse of tying my major into Shakespeare.  Ok, probably not but it's the first time these ancient words have come to life and bit me with this regard.

As the age old wizards daughter falls in love with the recently stranded prince Ferdinand, things move too quickly for the wizard.  She has never seen a man, a man so handsome, she has never seen such a god, (ps: why can't i be a god and receive such praise, anyway...), and she has fallen for him(DUAH!), literally she's just been launched over a 1000 foot cliff as is free falling, she's committed.  He on the other hand learns she is a virgin and tells her: O, if a virgin, And your affection not gone forth, I'll make you The Queen of Naples. Yep those are the first words out of his mouth; He's hooked too! Picture a fish with a hook, mortally desined never to free it's victim, piercing the fish's side as it struggles vainly for be free.  He's hooked! His will is bound, he loves her, he no longer takes commands from himself, Cupid is now his master, his king.

So what dose the wizard do about this netted couple, he breaks them up!--ok only for a time, BUT WHY?!

...but this swift business I must uneasy make, lest too light winning Make the prize light.

Now i've been too light in tone, let me change...
The things in life that are worth fighting for come at a very high price.  This is a transcendent truth, universally applicable!  Regardless of time, space, or purpose if it is worth something there's a price to be paid.  Freedom, education, love, friends, peace, joy, life, it all comes with a price.  When one wants to become something great many wants, desires, passions are sacrificed to the end.  I think of this beautiful country in which I live, the freedoms i have, to dream, the possibly to become anything i want, there is literary no law, no force that bans me from reaching any dream, save my own choices.  I have the freedom to worship God, to go and come as i please, and speak freely with my own voice.  This great freedom was purchased long ago from those who wanted to rule and persecute, it was purchased with many lives and much time.  Today there is still a price that is required.  How true it is, because such a price was paid for freedom, I cherish it.  O, I cherish it! I have family that has fought for this end, a brother that went to war, a brother that continues to serve to keep the peace here at home as well.  He puts his life in harms way so that my life doesn't have to be.  The strongest among us don't wear crowns.  To loose him would be unthinkable--the winning is heavy therefore i will forever hold the prize great.  The winning heavy made the prize great.  

As i look at future opportunities for employment and my career, still apart of this freedom, the same principle is true.  To enter these companies that interest me there is a great price to be paid.  Each company requires a grueling interview process.  To give one a taste, if you had to take a final exam before one could graduate from college, an exam that covered every year one spent there and then one had to prove it, perform one's work in front of a board scrutinizing one's every move, this is the interviews that i speak of.  Then this thought came to my mind....lest too light winning Make the prize light.  That which I work for I appreshiate.  Work hard!  "What wilt thou have pay the price and take it!"  As i have paid the price, the dream becomes more and more cherished--granted the price has yet to be paid in full!!  

I hope one day someone will see in me something great, i hope one day someone will see the potential that i feel in myself, that i will get a chance to fill great shoe at someones feet.  I hope and pray i will get a chance to shine, to make the world a better place--in that sense to put my name in history.  ...for all this the burden great and hence so to must be the prize...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for tying this in! Like you I was wondering why the quick breakup and I totally missed the crucial line. But his motivations totally make sense! Too often I find a good thing but then I end up throwing it out the window later because it was too easy to get. In contrast I value those things that I have worked hard for a lot more. Just take my friendships for example. I highly value friendships I have built up over the years and they are also much stronger than those friends I make in 30 seconds.

    I almost wonder if because Romeo and Juliet got away with so much at first in their secret love is why things didn't work out. They didn't know how to communicate and get through the tough stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting though...

    I just read Much Ado and looking at Claudio and Hero, i wonder if that is why Claudio was so easily entreated to believe that Hero was unfaithful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...but this swift business I must uneasy make, lest too light winning Make the prize light."

    The word "cherish" comes to mind. There are times when we really do receive good things in life without any apparent effort on our part. And many of us don't realize those blessings until we lose them. A freshman in college may say, "oh! Now I know how blessed I was to have lived with such wonderful parents!" A person that leaves his country to live in a foreign country for a year or two might think to himself, "Oh! I miss the food and the culture in my homeland. Now I know how much good there is in my country."
    Learning to cherish the things (including relationships, jobs, abilities) we have and notice the things we have to cherish can steer us away from feeling negatively about our lives.
    We don't always need to wait for "uneasiness" to help us appreciate for what we have.

    ReplyDelete