Friday, October 28, 2011

Social Report to A Rant on Education

Reaching out and getting to talk with people about Shakespeare has really been a lot of fun.  There is a kind of euphoria that comes when someone take a comment of yours and runs with it.


It also been fun to see how much people care about what you write in responce to what they have said.  Two amazing people that i have rubbed shoulders with so far are Sylvia Morris and Tue Sorensen as well as KJ.  Two of them have been trough blogs and the other email.


The point is this has been a lot of fun!  The one conversation i'm looking forward to right now is with Tue.  I told him i would be studying Lier and he sent me back some pointers, insights, and movie reviews, most of this has been through email.  I looking forward to writing him about with i learn and think.


Also Sylvia had an amazing post on The Tempest it's been fun to comment on her insight to productions that have been made.


I just reason for this post is to formally report.  I have also had some wonderful conversations with people throughout my ward.  One of my favorite answers to the question "how is school" is to bring up i'm taking a Shakespeare class--Boom!--they instantly want to know more.  One such conversation lead to Arthur writing on my blog and my post in response to his.  But this is just one public example, there have been many more.


It's been interest this Shakespeare class, it's thrown me completely out of my comfort zone, i'm no English major!  I do well with exact formula's and machines that are deterministic and finite.  So while i might fall way short of others, i have definitely grown leaps and bounds in my small book.


One of the greatest blessings of this class is that it is so open.  There is no leveling exam that damns one thoughts and experience to a universal grave.  But i'v been able to learn and explore Shakespeare with out fear of it biting me in the butt on an exam!!  I have spent a lot of time in my blog and others and in the text because i have known my grade has the potential to reflect it, versus prepping for some exam. I think in many ways those who have devised the educational system have taken the city by fire(1)!  In an effort to "increase" education and measure it, they have burn it to the ground, lost it.  Burned everything, it's come around and bit not only them but their society in the butt!  There is so much more to education and this for example has been a really neat project!  I've spent more time with it because there is hope that i will be judged on my experience and not some other course i would have had to ambiguously hunt down.  


So what has been my experience, talking with people about the plays, recording and reporting on my study, talking in groups, tying Shakespeare to my life, following courses of analysis that interest me, and diving into thoughts that interest others, revisiting the books and plays, and taking time to see the plays!  Rap that up into a standardized exam! This has been a great class! I hope to be able to articulate it when time comes!


The pic, a C Round Robin Operating System analysis of it's virtual memory address space in 320 virtual frames of memory.  And it relates to Shakespeare! That is letter B on your ENG232 final exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment