Wednesday, October 12, 2011

O the die has been cast!

Much Ado About Nothing

One of the major themes of Much Ado is the power of a report. 

I have recently went to a basketball game to visit some family.  I had just returned from my mission and was anxious to see them again, as i contemplated the past, the time before my mission, i wondered why my sister and my nieces and nephews had drifted apart.  We used to spend time together and enjoy family, but the time right before my mission life had gotten crazy and we hadn't taken time waste together.  

Now back from my mission however i was determined to remedy the situation, my attitude was one of assurance resolve and power, we were going to be close and i was going to sacrifice time to see them.  I immediately shared my goals with parents and began to walk through the commitment pattern locking them on board as well.  But it was then that a ill thought was proposed a view was given of my sisters family that brought my dream, aspiration, and goals crashing to the ground.  Some demigod had just smashed my dreams with a hammer! I had seen the the scene and could not un-see. The scene my sister was hostile--family feud!

My sister was recording the game but all i say was neglect and failure to yield to a brother come two hours to see her.  I wasn't important!  My niece refused to give me a huge throwing up her hand saying "i'v a bubble", i saw a brutal attack on my soul, i was unclean. My brother in law wouldn't even acknowledge my person, i saw out right war! The scene was painted red and black! The wool had been died and no other color would stain.




It wasn't that my niece was shy or my sister busy, nor my brother occupied! 
For I had received the report, seen the scene, I could not un-seen the scene.


Similarly Much Ado has a major theme--reporting.  The whole play is driven by reporting!

Here are some of the reports:

Messanger reports to Leonato -> Prince and Company back from war. A1.S1 Line 1.
Brother of Leonato reports to Leonato -> Prince loves Hero. A1.S2 Line 5.
Borachio reports to Don John -> Prince and Claudio's plan. A1.S3 Line 40.
Don John reports to Claudio -> Prince has stolen Hero. A2. S1 Line 140.
Claudio, Leonato, and Prince report to Benidict -> Beatrice loves Benidict. A2. S3 Line 100.
Hero and Ursula report to Beatrice-> Benidict Loves Beatrice. A3. S1. Line30.
Don John reports to Claudio and Prince -> Hero's unfaithful. A3. S2. Line 80.
Claudio reports to the Court -> Hero's is a wench. A4. S1. Line 30.
First Watchman reports to Sexton & Court -> Don John a villain. A4. S2. Line 55.
Leonato reports to Prince & Claudio -> Hero's dead. A5. S1. Line 70.
Dogverry reports to Prince and Claudio -> the evil plot. A5. S1. Line 260.


It is from these encounters, these reports that the plot is driven, that characters act.  I'm much like these characters in that i too when told a person's mote or a suspected hostile, I see the mote and they are hostile!! It is for this reason i strive to tolerate no ill word of another and have told my family such!  Let me paint my own scene and make of it what i will, that the truth may be in my eye, that i might make it something someone else could not.

No comments:

Post a Comment